The U.S. Congress is hearing and determining its next move with House Resolution 982, also known as the FACT Act. If this legislation is passed, then it would require asbestos trusts to release confidential information about asbestos victims. The information would contain the last four digits of an individual’s Social Security Number, family information and their employment history.
If you believe that asbestos victims and mesothelioma patients should have more hoops to jump through and that their monetary compensation should be delayed, then you agree with the FACT Act. If you feel that Congress is going down the wrong path and you want to make sure your representative in Congress knows how you feel, then please follow the steps below.
1. Get your Congress members’ office information by clicking here.
2. When you call, keep these things in mind:
- Tell them that you would like them to vote NO! on House Resolution 982.
- Remind them that these big corporations knew the health risks of asbestos, but they still continued using asbestos to make profits.
- The FACT Act will deny and delay the justice that mesothelioma and asbestos victims deserve.
- Remind them that a Congress members’ main purpose is to make sure that their constituents are protected and safe. H.R. 982 does the complete opposite.
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce are supporting House Resolution 982 on behalf of Big Asbestos. For decades, ALEC and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have supported Big Asbestos in covering up the dangers of the deadly mineral. If they want to be associated with a disease-causing product, then they will be seen as supporting FACT Act.
- It is important that you leave your name and address when the Congress office asks for it. If you fail to provide this information, then the office staff will not pass your comments and concerns on to your Congress person.