Make Sure That You Have the Right Doctor
Let’s make this clear, NOT EVERY PHYSICIAN IS QUALIFIED TO TREAT MESOTHELIOMA. The most important decision you will make after your mesothelioma diagnosis is finding an experienced mesothelioma specialist. In addition, you will also need to choose a mesothelioma treatment center where the doctors are familiar with handling mesothelioma cases.
What a mesothelioma specialist should bring to the table:
- Medical Skills that allow the physician to develop a mesothelioma treatment plan specific for an individual mesothelioma patient’s diagnosis.
- Medical Experience in actually treating mesothelioma. Since mesothelioma is a rare type of cancer, some physicians may go through their entire career without ever diagnosing the disease.
- Medical Network that a specialist has cultivated over a period of time, which allows them to give their patients access to different clinical trials, the latest techniques and treatments, and the best mesothelioma teams.
Mesothelioma Requires an Experienced Specialist
Every mesothelioma patient should do everything in their power to find a mesothelioma specialist. You do not want an oncologist who has never treated mesothelioma. We can help you find a mesothelioma specialist.
Here are things to look for when deciding on a mesothelioma specialist:
- Is Your Mesothelioma Specialist Familiar with Your Diagnosis?
There are four different types of mesothelioma: pleural, pericardial, peritoneal and testicular. Physicians tend to specialize in one type of mesothelioma, so if you have pleural mesothelioma, then you want someone who specializes in pleural mesothelioma.
- What is Your Mesothelioma Specialists Experience with Mesothelioma?
Just like with other professions, the more experience you have tends to make you better in your profession. This is especially important with mesothelioma specialists. Since it is a rare cancer, the more years of experience a mesothelioma physician brings to the table, the more likely he or she has handled and treated the disease.
- Does Your Specialist Have an Experience Mesothelioma Treatment Team?
A mesothelioma specialist will have a group of medical professionals helping them with your treatment plan. The more experienced this group provides, the better your plan will be implemented. Having a group of mesothelioma specialists who work together is optimal because you will have a group of doctors working to formulate the best treatment plan possible.
What Can a Mesothelioma Specialist Provide?
Having a mesothelioma specialist opens doors to things that a regular doctor may not even know about when they are treating mesothelioma. Since it is a rare cancer, some doctors may not even realize that they are treating mesothelioma.
Here are a few things a mesothelioma specialist will be familiar with and have access to:
- Getting Your Insurance Accepted by a Specialist
Mesothelioma treatments are very expensive and mesothelioma specialists are familiar with the types of insurance that they will accept. A mesothelioma treatment team can guide you regarding what insurance they will accept.
- Access to Clinical Trials
Mesothelioma specialists are part of a small tight-knit community and they alert mesothelioma patients when clinical trials are taking place so they can get involved.
- Traveling to a Specialist
Mesothelioma specialists understand that some patients are traveling a great distance to see them. Most specialists have created programs that eliminate all the headaches of traveling and figuring out the logistics of hotel, food, treatment and much more.